High School Team Tryouts
Grades 9-12 | Fall Sports 2023
Fall sports offered include Cross Country, Field Hockey, Golf, Tennis, and Volleyball. All tryouts and practices for student-athletes participating in the 2023 Fall Season begin Monday, August 7.
Every student trying out must have all medical documentation completed in Magnus Health. A current physical is required to play. Most physicals are valid for two years from the date of the examination unless the physician states that it is only valid for one year. Incoming ninth graders must have a physical issued after January of the current school year. To guarantee that the physical meets the MSHSAA requirements for student-athletes, please use either the MSHSAA Physical Evaluation form or the Villa physical form found on Magnus Health. Please email Kirsten Jasper, school nurse, at firstname.lastname@example.org or Tim Deines, Athletic Director, at email@example.com with questions regarding medical information. Students and parents should review all of the athletics information, especially the Parent’s Guide to Concussion, in the Co-Curricular section of the Student-Parent Handbook.
School attendance is mandatory for student-athletes.
- Students must be present at school by the end of the first period or they will not be eligible to play or practice that day. Individual circumstances will be handled by the Athletic Director and Dean of Students.
- Students participating in sports must be enrolled and pass a minimum 7/8 classes.
Excused absences include:
- Illness – An extended illness will require a doctor’s note.
- Physician/Dental Appointments – Students must submit a note to the coach from the physician's/dentist's office confirming the day and time of the visit.
- Family Emergency – Parents must communicate any emergency with coach/Athletic Director.
- College Visits – Students are allowed one (1) excused college visit during a season.
- School-sponsored Activities – Show Choir, Retreats, and other school-sponsored requirements.
- Academics – Academic excuses are allowed with confirmation/communication from a faculty member to the coach/Athletic Director.
- If a student is involved in a club sport, per MSHSAA rules, the high school sport takes priority over club activity. Students must communicate with coach/Athletic Director for permission to miss high school sport for club activity.
Individual circumstances will be handled on a case-by-case basis by the coach, Athletic Director, and Principal. Athletes will be allowed two (2) unexcused absences during a season.
Selection of Teams:
Villa Duchesne wishes to provide a safe and positive experience for each of our students who wishes to participate in athletics. We encourage students to participate in sports, especially ninth graders. The number of students participating effects how many teams we can field. Depending on the amount of participation from the student body, size limitations may be imposed in some sports. When this occurs, coaches will evaluate students based on attitude, work ethic, skill, fitness, and the needs of the program to select the participants of a team. There is no guarantee that a student will make a team even if she made a team the previous year or that the student will move to the next level the following year. Cross country is a no-cut fall sport. All students trying out for a team are required to be present beginning the FIRST DAY so that we achieve the mandatory 14 days of practices required by MSHSAA prior to start of the season contests and everyone participates in the tryout process. If you have any questions regarding a sport, please contact the head coach.
Student-athletes should keep their schedules open the week of August 7-13 as practice times may need to be adjusted due to coaches’ schedules. When school begins, practices will be held after school.
Cross Country: Cross Country is a no-cut sport. Tryouts begin in Kenefick Gym on Monday, August 7, from 7:00-8:00 am. Practice locations may change during the week, as the team may do some off-campus runs. Students should bring running shoes, a water bottle, and appropriate clothing for the weather. Head Coach: Amanda Stoll, firstname.lastname@example.org
Field Hockey: Number of teams and cuts will depend on student turnout. Tryouts begin on Condie Field on Monday, August 7, from 8:00-10:00 am. Students should keep their schedules clear from 8-10 am and 4-6 pm throughout the week of August 7 for tryouts. Students should bring field hockey equipment including mouth guard, stick, and goggles, as well as tennis shoes, turf shoes, water bottle, and appropriate clothing for the weather. There will be additional uniform costs and travel costs for those that make the varsity team. Head Coach: Kate Graft, email@example.com
Golf: Number of teams and cuts will depend on student turnout. Tryouts will be held at The Quarry at Crystal Springs golf club in Maryland Heights on Monday, August 7, beginning at 9:00 am. Students should bring golf equipment, water bottle, and appropriate clothing for the weather. There will be a uniform fee, not to exceed $125. Head Coach: Sandy Schwartz, firstname.lastname@example.org
Tennis: Number of teams and cuts will depend on student turnout. Tryouts will be held on the tennis courts on the Lower Campus on Monday, August 7, from 4:00-5:30 pm. Students should bring tennis equipment, water bottle, and appropriate clothing for the weather. There will be a uniform fee, not to exceed $125. Head Coach: Barbara Fox, email@example.comVolleyball: Number of teams and cuts will depend on student turnout. Tryouts will be in Kenefick Gymnasium on Monday, August 7, from 5:00-7:00 pm. Students should bring volleyball equipment, water bottle, and appropriate clothing. Head Coach: Jennifer Dolan, firstname.lastname@example.org
Winter Sports 2023
- Basketball tryouts begin Monday, October 30
- Swimming & Diving tryouts begin Monday, November 6
- Dance tryouts begin Monday, November 6
Spring Sports 2024
- Tryouts for Lacrosse, Soccer, and Track & Field begin Monday, February 26
Fall Sports 2024
- Tryouts for Cross Country, Field Hockey, Golf, Tennis, and Volleball begin Monday, August 12
Questions, contact Director of Athletics Tim Deines at